The Sandpit to Seed (S2S) Program aims to bridge the gap between traditional sources of research funding and development funding from philanthropy, industry and investors. The aim is that supported projects, technologies and developments will lead to additional funding, partnerships and commercialisation outcomes such as licensing, start-ups, and ultimately new products, services and methods which have genuine impact.
JCU staff looking to become the next generation of innovators work closely with members of the Research and Innovation Services team to further develop their idea or opportunity.
Opportunities will stem from existing research activities which require support to get to the next stage. For example, intellectual property protection, development of prototypes, proof of concept development, and the development of new ventures or spin-outs.
Have an idea? Great!
New applications should seek in principle support from their ADR and/or Dean prior to applying
We invite you to login to the site using the secure JCU single sign-on. Complete the required EOI information, select your sponsor and submit. Your sponsor will contact you directly and work with you to refine the proposal.
Commercialisation Advisory Group (CAG)
The CAG has been established to support a streamlined, innovative and commercially robust mechanism around decision making processes for investment in, and management of, opportunities developed within the JCU community.
In addition to making recommendations on the investment of S2S funds, the CAG provides strategic commercial advice on potential commercialisation pathways for JCU opportunities - including establishment of spin-outs, development of prototypes, engagement of expert advisors, and co investment opportunities. The CAG provides advice to the Director of Research and Innovation Services, and the Board of the North Queensland Commercialisation Company (NQCC), a JCU entity through which JCU commercialisation opportunities may be advanced.
The CAG is made up of the following business and innovation leaders:
- Colin Ryan - Partner, PVW Partners
- Jan Bingley - Director Business Development and Commercialisation at La Trobe ÁñÁ«ÊÓÆµ; Venture Partner Significant Capital Ventures, Investment Committee member Tank Stream Ventures; Board Member Alertness CRC
- Allison McKay - Executive Assistant to the CEO and Business Development Manager for Pickerings Group of Companies
- Goslik Schepers - JCU Alumni; Investment Manager, Brandon Capital Partners
- Rachel Sciascia - Partner at Gadens
- Deb Verhoeven - Canada 150 Research Chair in Gender and Cultural Infomatics, ÁñÁ«ÊÓÆµ of Alberta
CAG Meeting Dates
The Commercialisation Advisory Group meetings will consider and assess S2S applications presented, and make recommendations on Sandpit to Seed funding allocation. The 2020 meeting dates are:
- 23 April 2020 (virtual)
- 22 June 2020 (virtual or face to face permitting)
- 8 October 2020 (virtual)
- 23 November 2020 (virtual)